Medefense covers legal expenses, fines, and penalties associated with disciplinary actions, such as actions by a state medical board, a hospital review committee, or a federal regulatory agency.
Covered disciplinary proceedings include:
- actions by a state medical licensing authority;
- a professional review action regarding clinical privileges;
- a proceeding instituted by a state department of insurance, state workers’ compensation commission, state department of health and human services, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, or Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services alleging medical services were performed in violation of guidelines;
- Medicare billing audits conducted by Recovery Audit Contractors (RAC) or other private contractors as well as allegations of non-compliance with Medicare/Medicaid regulations or procedures;
- proceedings alleging violations of EMTALA, HIPAA, Stark law; and
- a tax practitioner's fees to assist a policyholder in an IRS audit of a federal tax return.
Legal expenses: $50,000 per claim / $100,000 per policy period
Tax expenses: $5,000 per policy period (included in legal expense)
Deductible: $1,000 per claim
Policyholders have free choice of counsel. However, we will waive the deductible and pay legal expenses directly if the policyholder hires an attorney from a panel provided by LSA.
Medefense claims must be reported to LSA no later than 60 days from the date you received notice of the insured event.